August 23, 2019

What if you are in FL and have ICs that work for you 1-3 days at a time only one to two times a year to complete a specific training project and perform the work in another state. We pay them through our payroll system and house their information in our HRIS, so can we set up direct deposit?

The classification rests on the totality of the facts at hand. If they maintain an independent business, you do not control the means by which they conduct their work, and they are paid on a per project basis, they are most likely going to be classified as an independent contractor. Consult with an employment lawyer familiar with Florida and federal classification laws.